What help desk software are you using to track trouble tickets, and what features do you find most valuable? When I was in the field we used Spiceworks, which is free, but I am interested to know what tools other schools and districts are using.
Susan M. Bearden
Chief Innovation Officer
Consortium for School Networking
Chief Innovation Officer
We're using SolarWinds Web Help Desk.
1. Customizable fields
2. It's a standalone module of an integrated server/network monitoring system – this makes reporting to my boss more flexible.
3. Regular updates
4. We use it as the primary inventory for *anything* tech related (audio systems, computers, document cameras, projectors...)
5. SLAs are customizable to groups and categories
6. Workflows are easy to add, but you will have to think/plan before you implement.
7. Reporting is easy to configure and can be automated – example: I get weekly reports on average response time by tech group and by technician, average time to close, number of open tickets by group and technician, SLA reports, and First Call resolutions. They show up in my email as PDF attachments.
8. It integrates with chat systems like "Chime" that allow my end users multiple avenues of support. (email, call, chat)
9. Great after sale training, videos, and BBS style community (THWACK) for self-help, as well as standard call in support options.
1. Once you add inventory, it's there forever. You can mark it disposed, and delete it from active viewing, but it is never removed from the database. There is no mechanism to remove it from the SQL database, so over time your database will grow. This includes the "oops I imported the same 6000 machines twice" syndrome.
2. If you have a larger number of devices (in my case about 40,000 active) you really ought to have somebody versed in SQL to tweak the server performance. If I say...pull a full inventory during the day, the system can slow to a crawl and my help desk staff will get very irritated with me. ;-}
Dan Sloan, CETL
Des Moines Public Schools
P: 515.242.8251 | F: 515.242.7377 | C: 515.321.4447
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Greetings:We use a product called JitBit HelpDesk software that we host on-premise. A few items we like about it is that it is very inexpensive, unlimited technicians, easy to use for staff, highlight customizable, simplistic reporting, knowledge base, and features.